Direct Submit generates SafeAssign reports on papers submitted outside of a course assignment or can be used to check assignments after they have been submitted.
PLEASE NOTE: Direct Submit is not available to students; only an instructor in the course can use this feature. Papers uploaded through Direct Submit are only added to the Institutional Database – there is no option to add them to the Global Reference Database since students have to opt-in on a paper-by-paper basis. Additionally, there is no Gradebook integration with papers submitted through Direct Submit. So because Direct Submit does not offer access to the Global Reference Database or integration with Gradebook, instructors should set up and use the SafeAssignments setting in regular assignments to collect submissions whenever possible. For more information about setting up a SafeAssignment, see the TIPS article Creating a SafeAssignment.
Direct Submit allows Instructors to submit papers one at a time or several at once by including them in a .ZIP file.
PLEASE NOTE: .ZIP packages should contain no more than 100 papers and submitting more than 300 papers in a session is not recommended. Additionally, papers with over 5000 sentences or that are more than 10 MB in size cannot be submitted.
How to Submit through Direct Submit
- In the Blackboard course with the Edit Mode on, selectCourse Tools and then SafeAssign.
- SelectDirectSubmit. This brings you to your Direct Submit console.
- If you have already uploaded papers, a list of folders and papers will appear. This list includes papers already uploaded through Direct Submit. It is not recommended that files be deleted from Direct Submit, as this will remove them from the institutional database of existing materials.
- Type in a new folder name to help differentiate papers uploaded for different assignments or reasons. ClickAdd, and then navigate to a folder or create a new folder where the paper or papers will be uploaded. Note: Papers added to folders in the Private tab are only viewable you you, the instructor. Papers added to folders in the Shared tab are viewable by any one with a role above a student in the course – so TAs, additional instructors, etc.
- ClickSubmit Paper.
- Select the upload options:
- Submit as Draft: A SafeAssign report will be generated however the paper will not be added to the institutional database and will not be used to check other papers.
- Skip Plagiarism Checking: Adds the papers to the institutional database without checking for content copied from other sources. This is useful if an Instructor wants to upload papers from an earlier course to ensure that current students are not reusing work.
- SelectUpload File and browse for the file. Individual papers as well as papers that are grouped in a .ZIP package are accepted. Alternatively, selectCopy/Paste Document and add the document text or a portion of the document into the paper text field.
Result times vary depending on how many papers are be submitted to the system at any time. Please allow for at least 2 hours.
Supported file types
Direct Submit supports the following file types:
- Microsoft Word document: .doc or .docx
- OpenOffice documents: .odt
- Rich Text Format: .rtf
- HTML: .htm or .html
- Text: .txt
- Zip compressed: .ZIP used to upload multiple files.
- Portable Document Format: .pdf
These instructions were originally found at http://wiki.safeassign.com and edited.
Log in to Blackboard and click on your course among the list of "Courses in which you are participating" in the My Courses section of the opening page.
Go to the section of the course where your instructor posted the assignment. Click on the name of the assignment.
You will not see a SafeAssign icon – it has been discontinued as a separate tool, but included in the assignment workflow.
You will see the Upload Assignment page. Your professor's instructions for the assignment are posted at the top.
Scroll to the second section, Assignment Submission.
Click Browse My Computer.
After you click on the Browse button, a dialog box will appear. Navigate to where you've saved the file that you want to submit to your instructor.
SafeAssign accepts files in .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html file formats only. Files of any other format will not be checked through SafeAssign.
Do not use any special characters in your file name. Numbers, letters, hyphens and underscores are acceptable.
The maximum file size you can upload to SafeAssign is 10 MB.
When you find the file, double-click on the file name to select it.
The path to your file will now be entered in the "File to Attach" window.
Under your file, you will see the Global Reference Database. This step submits your paper to Blackboard's global database, which means that if a student at another institution using SafeAssign copies your language too closely, SafeAssign will flag the instance and include the copied text as part of the "originality report," indicating that the passage was copied from your work. If you do want your paper included in the Global Reference Database, leave the box unchecked.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the button to send your submission to the server.
Depending on how big your file is, SafeAssign will ask you to wait while your file is being uploaded. SafeAssign will confirm that your SafeAssignment has been "successfully submitted." Click on the button to return to the opening page for your course.